Drawing taken from the History Project

Elston Heritage Project

Elston Heritage Project

The Domesday Book of 1086 is the first record that mentions the village by name, where it is called Elvestone, but soon afterwards there are other spellings, including Eyieston, Ayleston, and Ailaston. From these early variants the name seems to be a hybrid of the name of a Scandinavian or Danish owner named Eilaf and the Anglo Saxon tun, which originally meant a fence, but which then very soon was applied to any village surrounded by a fence.

Click to open this resource

Elston Heritage Project