125 years ago, in December 1894, the first Elston Parish Council meeting was held in compliance with the Local Government Act of 1894.
The meeting was held in Elston School on 4 th December at 7.00pm. 7 councillors were elected by a show of hands and the elected Council followed with the
election of their first Chairman, Lewis Palmer.
One of their first resolutions was: ‘That the Chairman and the Clerk shall settle with the school managers the cost of fire and lighting in the School Room when used for Council Meetings’