All Saints Elston we is a church who love to pray and work together. We work closely with All Saints Anglican/Methodist Primary School within the villlage. We have an enthusiastic PCC who have a desire to ensure we welcome all and look to growing disciples of God. We offer Messy Church (working alongside the Methodist Church) in the school holiday.
We hold a service weekly; but this could be 8.30am Holy Communion, 10.30am Morning Worship or Family Service or 6.00pm Evening Prayer. Please see calendar and services and events.Saints, Kilvington (with Alverton) St Mary's, Shelton St Mary and All saints, Sibthorpe St Peter's, Staunton (with Flawborough) St Mary's and Syerston All Saints.
We are part of the Octave group of Churches under the leadership of Rev Elizabeth Murray, the Octave group is made up of : East Stoke St Oswalds, Elston All Saints, Kilvington (with Alverton) St Mary's, Shelton St Mary and All saints, Sibthorpe St Peter's, Staunton (with Flawborough) St Mary's and Syerston All Saints.
Elston Old Chapel
There is no specific mention of a church in the Domesday Book, although there almost certainly was one in existence as the owner of the land, Ilbert de Lacy, claimed the ‘priest’s land’ against Bishop Remegius, and ‘Norman the priest’ had holdings.
The present building comprises a two cell nave and slightly lower chancel, mainly of 12th Century date, with zig-zag decoration to the south doorway, though with later work of the 14th and 15th Centuries; the windows are all of typical Nottinghamshire, square-headed, form, and are 14th Century in date. The buttresses at the east end may be of the 13th Century.
The interior represents a simple, early 19th Century layout with west gallery, box pews, squire’s pew, and pulpit.
There is evidence of wall paintings on the interior walls, much of which appears to be 18th Century stencil decoration, though with evidence of earlier schemes below. The south door has graffiti dated 1717.
Throsby, writing in 1790, discusses two divisions of Elston, ‘Chapel Elston’ being called ‘Stoke’ (as it lies on the parish boundary with East Stoke). The chapel has separate registers, commencing in 1584. In 1870 it was amalgamated with Elston All Saints. It is now redundant and in the care of the Churches Conservation Trust.
For more information on the Chapel go to 'Elston Old Chapel History'.